Wednesday 19 October 2011

monkey see, monkey do

The other day when I visited one of my favorite new shops in town, I discovered an amazing backdrop they had in the display window. It's hard to describe the giddiness I feel inside when I say to myself in my head, "I can totally make that!". So I tell the shop owner how amazing it is and how I wish they were selling it (hah, not a chance). I immediately start brainstorming my own version of the project.

Since I have an abundance of denim scraps at the shop from jean hems, what would be more perfect than a rainy denim curtain. So here's what I did:

Supplies:
Denim scraps
Blue thread
Wire (optional)

Tools:
Sharp scissors
Sewing machine

1. Iron the wrinkles out of the scraps to prevent curled raindrops. No scraps? No problem! Search your closet for old denim clothes or head to the fabric store.

2. Cut out your raindrops in varying sizes. I made mine 1/2" to 1 1/2". The shape is so simple you can just freehand with your scissors. Do yourself a favour and use sharp scissors.

3. Using blue thread, sew the drops together, alternating colour and sizes, leaving about 1" space between each, until desired length. I made mine 70" long.

4. Hang them up. Depending on where you will be displaying, you can either hang them individually with little tacks, or string them along some wire like I did. Voila!

1 comment: